Whether you’re renovating your San Francisco Area condominium, upgrading your East Bay luxury home, or simply searching for a way to muffle the egregious sounds of your teenage son’s ridiculous music, it might be time to investigate hardwood floor underlay products.
There are many products out there. Basic underlay is composed of polyethylene foam. This foam is not really appropriate for hardwood floors; it’s better for concrete. It contains a side with moisture barrier and a side with foam cushioning.
Advanced Products Better Suited for Hardwood Floors
Higher-tier underlay products can keep your wood floors looking more wood-like, absorb more sound, protect against moisture, and insulate. Here are some good underlay products:
- QuietWalk. This environmentally friendly fabric is made of recycled materials. It’s ideal for absorbing moisture, boosting insulation, and protecting the floor underneath.
- Cork. Also eco-friendly, cork is great at muffling sound and at insulating. Cork can be found in practically any thickness — it can be easily customized to your requirements.
- Other products, like Proflex and Floor Muffler. These also muffle sound, protect against moisture, etc. These products are not considered as “green” as cork and QuietWalk, but they can positively impact the feel of the floor.
Choosing the Right Underlay for your Job
Countless variables must be considered, such as:
- What type of hardwood floor do you have?
- What’s the state of its repair?
- How much humidity/moisture does the floor get exposed to?
- What are your aesthetic needs?
- What’s your budget?
- How much do you care about whether the products you use are “eco-friendly” or not?
- What’s your timeframe for installation?
- Will this be a “do-it-yourself” job, or do you want to hire someone?
For help finding your underlay solutions, connect with the team here at Elegant Floors. Our experienced, knowledgeable professionals can walk you through best practices.