What Questions Should I Ask When Choosing Hardwood Floors?
Maybe you’re looking for an engineered hardwood floor solution. Or perhaps you’re searching for general information about hardwood floors maintenance in the Bay Area. In either case, you need to ask the right questions. Here are 10 crucial questions to answer before you begin your installation project.
1. What is the best cleaning method to use with your floor?
Should you vacuum, dust with a special cloth, sweep, or engage in some other process? Knowing your maintenance needs in advance will help you install the right type of floor and care for it appropriately.
2. How much humidity will the floor be able to bear?
Too much humidity can cause hardwood floor boards to warp and create maintenance challenges, such as mold and mildew, as well as tripping hazards.
3. Which kind of wood should I buy: unfinished or prefinished?
Each project has different needs. Prefinished hardwood can be more expensive, but it can also be easier/simpler to install. If you finish the wood at home or in your building, you risk releasing particulate matter into air ducts, which can cause allergic reactions in some people. Talk to our team about the pros and cons of each option.
4. How much flooring will you need?
You can use online cost estimators to gauge the answer or talk to our experienced staff, so you can avoid overbuying or under buying.
5. Will the boards risk getting darker or lighter over time?
Sunlight and moisture exposure can over time alter the color of hardwood floors.
6. Should you opt for an engineered hardwood floor?
Engineered hardwood flooring can be a good choice for basements and rec rooms, but solid flooring could be better for other applications. Talk to the Elegant Floors team for insight.
7. What will you do with your kids and pets during the installation?
Keep animals and small children away from the site, particularly when you are doing staining or using chemicals. Using child gates around the installation area is a good idea.
8. Should you even get hardwood floors if you have young kids and pets scrambling about?
The answer is a qualified yes. You may need to train your pets and kids to use the floors with care or establish systems to prevent them from ruining the floors.
9. Should you get trims, moldings or other treatments for the floor?
Your design options are practically unlimited. Our team can help you figure out great, cost effective solutions.
10. Should you install the floor on you own?
You can, but you could hurt yourself and/or damage the materials. Installation is generally not a DIY-friendly project.
Contact Us With All Your Hardwood Flooring Questions
For answers to your hardwood floor installation or refinishing questions, call the Elegant Floors team today at 650-961-1339 or 408-773-8624. You can also reach us by using our online contact form, and a team member will get back to you as soon as possible.